What Christians Believe
1st Presbyterian Church is a basic, biblical, Christian church with the following essential beliefs:
—- There is one God in three persons in unity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
—- Jesus Christ, God’s only Son, fully divine and fully human, suffered and was crucified to redeem the world from sin and death.
—- He rose after death and lives again to bring the promise of eternal life to those who believe in him.
—- It is only by grace through faith alone in Christ that we are justified.
—- All of this is known through the Bible, the inspired word of God.
Questions or conversations regarding this statement are welcome.
The mission of FPC and its members is to love God, love neighbor, and make disciples, as Jesus commanded. We are a community of followers of Christ who share the grace and love of Jesus with one another and with our neighbors, leading to flourishing lives and communities.
We are a diverse community of believers from across the Wasatch Front with deep faith, worship, and music traditions. We gather in our beautiful, historic building in downtown Salt Lake City amidst a mission field of people yearning for meaning, longing for God’s grace, and experiencing brokenness, loneliness, or homelessness.
As we strive to fulfill our mission and vision, our current priorities for sharing the good news about Jesus include:
- Offering excellent, meaningful worship services and music ministry.
- Developing a culture of hospitality and a nonjudgmental, nonthreatening, loving atmosphere, welcoming all to join us as we seek the Lord.
- Encouraging deep, caring, and loving relationships throughout our family of believers.
- Empowering all of our members for ministry by helping them identify, develop, and utilize their spiritual gifts.
- Engaging all members of the congregation in Jesus’ rescue mission, offering special concern and help for those broken by life’s circumstances within our church family, along the Wasatch Front, and around the world.
- Providing high quality discipleship and education opportunities for all ages and stages, leading to personal spiritual growth, obedience, and abundant life in Christ.
- Growing loving, fun, and faithful ministries for our children, youth, and families.
The people of First Presbyterian seek to faithfully follow the Lord Jesus Christ. This congregation is part of a Presbyterian heritage in Utah which dates back more than nearly 150 years. The Presbyterian Church played a key role in the founding of our country and can be traced back to the Protestant Reformation in the 1550’s. We hope this site is informative and thought-provoking. We welcome you into this fellowship and we invite you to join in as we all seek to serve God in this place.
Christians in all times and at all places have tried to summarize and articulate their beliefs. Presbyterians have adopted 12 such creeds, confessions and catechisms as Part I of our constitution — The Book of Confessions. The oldest are the Nicene Creed and Apostles’ Creed of the ancient church, the most recent were written in the 1980s. In these statements, the church declares who and what it is, what it believes, and what it resolves to do. They guide the church in studying and interpreting the Scriptures, summarize the essence of Christian thought and belief, and assist us in maintaining sound doctrine and in proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ — that through his love, sacrifice, and grace, each of us is able to be freed from bondage to sin, reconciled to God, and empowered to enjoy, worship and serve our Lord. Our confessions bear witness to the One, Holy, Catholic Church of all believers. They reflect the faith of the Protestant Reformation and particularly of the Reformed tradition.
The link below connects to the Brief Statement of Faith, adopted in 1983 by the reunited Presbyterian Church (USA).