The first organ at FPCSLC was a three-manual, 45 stop instrument built by the Bennett Organ Company of Rock Island, IL, and had over 2,000 pipes. The organ was dedicated on April 10, 1911 in a concert described as “the social event of the year”, with some 900 people in attendance. The chimes visible above the choir loft were added in 1969 and dedicated in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Bowe.
In 1999, much of the pipework was removed and the organ was replaced with an all-digital Rodgers instrument, equivalent to a 130-rank pipe organ. The organ is used for the Traditional Worship Service on Sundays at 11 am, as well as special events and concerts throughout the year. Previously recorded concerts can be found in the Music playlist on our YouTube channel. For information on upcoming concerts, please visit our Events page or contact the office.
Though the 1911 Bennett instrument has been disassembled, we still have many of the pipes in storage, and are hopeful that they can soon be put back in the organ chamber to create a new, hybrid instrument. For more information on this project, please contact organist Larry Blackburn via the office.