What is a Deacon in the Presbyterian Church?
The Congregation elects and installs church deacons. Deacons serve people in need and care for members of the congregation.
The Deacons have the responsibility of managing and carefully using donations from members and friends given the first Sunday of each month.
According to the Presbyterian Church USA Book of Order, the work of a deacons as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone is distress.
Our Board of Deacons works through committees which are responsible for the following services:
- Special Needs: This committee responds with support when members have special needs for transportation, housing, family or problems due to finances or age.
- Bereavement Committee: This committee provides care to grieving families and often provides a meal following funeral services.
- New Members Welcome: Deacons provide a meal for new members to welcome them to the Congregation.
- Fellowship Hour: The Fellowship (Coffee) Hour is a social period following each of our Sunday services. This committee– with the help of many congregation members– provides coffee, lemonade and delicious treats every Sunday. Contact Vicky Ogden if you would like to be part of this service.
- Communion: This committee is responsible for preparing elements for our communion services and for caring for the communion dishes following the services.
- Congregational Care. Our church homebound members enjoy attention and care provided by our deacons. Members of the congregational care committee call and/or visit these members regularly. Deacons keep them in touch with the Church and provide attention and love.
- Flowers. Following Sunday services each week, the Deacons take the sanctuary flowers to members and friends who are homebound, in assisted living or in hospital.
Who are our deacons?
Don & Barb Alexander
Bert & Dorothy Dart
Jane & Don Rich
Pervaiz & Fozia Masih
Placede Tiemeny Tshiaba
Hyun Ah Miya
If you have any question regarding the Deacons or want to become active in any of the Deacon activities, please contact:
Chuck Britter at 801-631-1911 or firstname.lastname@example.org