What is a Deacon in the Presbyterian Church?
The Congregation elects and installs church deacons. The Deacon Board members meet monthly and work through committees to serve people in need and to care for the congregation.
The Deacons have the responsibility of managing and carefully using the voluntary donations from our members given the first Sunday of each month. The level of giving in our Church has always been generous and wisely used.
According to the Presbyterian Church USA Book of Order, the work of a deacons as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone is distress.
Our Board of Deacons works through committees which are responsible for the following services:
- Special Needs: This committee responds with support when members have special needs for transportation, housing, family or problems due to finances or age.
- Bereavement Committee and New Member Welcome: This committee provides care to grieving families and provides a meal following funeral services.
- New Members Welcome: Deacons provides a meal for the new members class to welcome them to the Congregation.
- Fellowship Hour: The Fellowship (Coffee) Hour is a social period following each of our Sunday services. This committee– with the help of many congregation members– provides coffee, lemonade and delicious treats every Sunday. Contact Dan Saxon if you would like to be part of this service.
- Communion: This committee is responsible for preparing elements for our communion services and for caring for the communion dishes following the services.
- Congregational Care. Our church homebound members enjoy attention and care provided by our deacons. Members of the congregational care committee call and/or visit these members at least monthly. We keep them in touch with the Church and provide attention and love.
- Flowers. Following Sunday services each week, the Deacons take the sanctuary flowers to our shut-in members or to rest homes.
Who are our deacons?
Bert Dart, Moderator
Arlene Dilley, Vice Moderator
Don Saxon, Treasurer
Melissa Piercey, Secretary
Don & Barb Alexander
Pervaiz & Fozia Masih
Mike & Karla Miller-Imperiale
Barbara & David Gardner
The Deacon Board Class of 2019 was recently inducted and they consist of Don and Barb Alexander, Bert Dart, Roger Durst and Barbara and David Gardner.
If you have any question regarding the Deacons or want to become active in any of the Deacon activities, please contact Bert Dart at 801-231-4105 or email@example.com